Did you know that you can claim your Boyfriend or Girlfriend (Partner) on your Personal Tax return!! However there are a few criteria you must meet in order to take advantage of this little known rule.
In order to take advantage of this, your partner must meet the following tests…
- The Partner must be a U.S. Citizen, Resident Alien or a Resident of Canada or Mexico
- Can not be the Qualifying Child of the taxpayer
- You must have lived together the entire year as a member of your family and cohabitation must not be against the law in your state (FYI in Wisconsin, it’s not, I just looked)
- She/He can’t have earned over $4,050
- You must have paid more than ½ her/his living expenses during 2016
- And, he/she must not be able to be claimed by anyone else (ie his/her parents, grandparent, etc)